I still wasn't allowed to take meals off the ward,
so I resigned myself to another Styrofoam container of eggs, toast and
sausage. I'm not the type to venture out in my pajamas, so I dressed
completely, but some people stayed in sleepy pants and slippers the
entire day. After breakfast, a nurse gathered me from my room,
explaining I would need to be evaluated by the medical doctor. She
grabbed the desk chair and told me to wait in the hall outside my door. I
could see clear into the dayroom, while meds were being distributed
down the hall. Shaky Hippie was in the day room, tapping her foot
off-rhythm and huddled up in a blue blanket, with a look on her face
like someone was perpetually about to slap her, kinda like this:
And that was totally inaccurate - only about 67% of the people on the ward wanted to perpetually slap her.
She zeroed in and targeted me:

And that was totally inaccurate - only about 67% of the people on the ward wanted to perpetually slap her.
She zeroed in and targeted me:
Shaky Hippie: You can't be in the hallway during meds!
Me: They told me to sit here.
Shaky Hippie: That's a HIPAA violation! You can't be there!
Me: They. Told. Me. To. Sit. Here.
Shaky Hippie: Oh, so you just do everything your told?!?
Me: Generally, yes. (I wasn't in the mood for bitches bein' all crazy at 9 am)
Shaky Hippie: Well, aren't you a medical student?
Me: Ummm... no.
Shaky Hippie: If you're a medical student, then you should know better! That's a HIPAA violation!
Me: Um, I'm not. Soooo.... yeah.
I was wrong - she wasn't a nice Hippie - she was a rigid and uptight bitch suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, hereinafter referred to as Mary. A few more people went in and out of the day room, but it wasn't long before she started up again...
Mary: Don't you have any respect for anyone but yourself???
Me: (just ignore her, say nothing)
Mary: You have to be told like a child?!? You should know better - you're a medical student!
Mary: You have to be told like a child?!? You should know better - you're a medical student!
I continued to ignore her, thinking that maybe "medical student" was her own terminology for her fellow "inmates". Thankfully I was called to the doctor and escaped her line of sight/wrath for the moment.
The medical doc looked at me a bit incredulously as he ran down the list of physical ailments I replied "nay" to. Apparently, if I'm in perfectly healthy physical condition, mentally I should be fine as well. Because science or something.
My shrink wasn't much better:
Doc: I think we're going to keep you here for a few days, just to see how you're feeling.
Me: Do I have a choice?
Doc: (Double-speak peppered with medical terminology that doesn't answer the question).
Me: Thanks, you've been helpful. Bt-dubs, can I eat in the cafeteria?
Doc: Oh, uh... we'll see.
Me: Again, super helpful. I'm gonna go now.
Everyone was forced to attend "group" therapy sessions, in which most of those conducting didn't care if you showed up and participated, or slept through the entire damn thing. During this time, the "dorms" were locked, with one exception for bathroom purposes. I'll dive into those sessions in the next few chapters.
No comments:
Post a Comment