Coraline Jean

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

This isn't a nightmare - you wake up from a nightmare...



I miss her.  I miss her so damn much.  It’s the most unfair thing to have to live with everyday.

I wake up every morning and have to accept it all over again.  That after 9 months, I only got to hold her for a day.  After years of planning, I was deprived of years with her.  And then I have to go on.  Walk down the halls, interact with hundreds of people who neither know nor care what I’ve been through.  Look into their eyes, not knowing who is more dead inside – me for having experienced this, or them for not.  I hear words coming out of my mouth that I didn’t realize I was saying.  I see everything differently.  My life is split in two – life before I was the mother of a stillborn baby, and life after.  And there are very very black pages in the history and timeline of “after.” 

I ask myself sometimes “why am I waiting?”  Do I really think that not being the same time along with my next pregnancy at the same seasonal time is going to help?  Either way, I’ll think of Coraline, and my pregnancy with her, and everything that happened.  It doesn’t matter if I have another baby on the same day at the same time – nothing is going to make the next one (if there is a next one) any easier.

I feel empty.  I’m filling the dead space with writing and blogging and school and starting a new career path, but nothing fills my arms.  Nothing stops the pain.  Nothing changes my opinion of the dark and horrible reality that is the world for me now.  I go through the motions of daily life because I have nothing else to do. I feel my hollow stomach and retrace my steps through my old life and want to scream until I choke on it.  Think of all the time I wasted crying over stupid shit that didn’t matter.  All the complaints and anger – all the meaningless “loss” I thought I had experienced that equates to nothing more than insignificant, unregistered blips on the radar. 

All my hopes.  All my dreams and plans and secret desires gone in two minutes.  I relive the realization every minute.  It’s never gone from my mind.  I relive her birth over and over and over.  Even with as many drugs as I was on, I still see everything vividly.  I could tell you the color of the nurses scrubs.  I can never watch the Patton Oswalt episode of Burn Notice again, because that is what was on television.  I wore my new green and yellow paisley pajama pants home, with my burgundy tank top.  My anesthesiologist was Filipino, and the old nurse who came to give me Fentanyl as I screamed through Cytotec-induced contractions had a grey and white moustache.  The curtain to my room was pink – they wrapped her in a pink and white blanket.  They got me up at about 3 am to use the bathroom – I remember cringing in pain as I did.  I asked for my purple socks.

And that’s how I know it wasn’t a dream, or even a nightmare, because a nightmare you can at least wake from.  You won’t always see color, or be able to read, or remember all of it except in fuzzy detail.  This comes blaring back at me daily, often hourly.  I fell apart going in her room the other day – not seeing her there.  There’s an eternal absence in my life, one I will always try and always fail to fill.

And no one left really cares.  I’ve put on a great show of being “over it”, so that’s what they see, and what they accept.  They bitch to me about their problems, which are obviously so much more important than mine.  They demand I make their lives easier because my situation has been “just too hard on them.”  My life doesn’t mean anything anymore – maybe it never did, but now I am so painfully aware of it. 

I am a fraction of the person I used to be – and a shattered, ruined fraction at that.  I put on a really good front, but it’s a lie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment