Allow me to clarify...
I refuse to be fake, and plaster on a smile when I'm not happy, or
when I'm deep in thought, or simply very tired. I tend to not speak
unless I have something of value to contribute to the conversation,
which many take as me being "snobbish" or anti-social.
I've been told before to "look on the bright side." To focus on the good and the happy. To not think about the possible negative outcomes, because "no one wants someone who is always looking to be miserable." I've been told if I complain, I'm being a pessimist. If I speak up, I'm ungrateful. God forbid I actually get angry and express emotions - I'm "unstable" and irrational because feelings. Any negative words are a slight against my character and others, and I "don't really mean" anything bad I may say. (Spoiler alert - I totally do).
I am not a glass-half-full type of person, as much as society may try to push me to be. I am also not a doom and gloom, tragedy abounds at every turn kind of person. I simply prepare for the worst and strive for the best possible outcome. I am not a pessimist - I am a realist. I am a planner, a long-term thinker - you see a sapling, I see the forest and the approaching dry season that may bring a fire. The downside of this is a lack of being able to appreciate little things. The upside is I'm usually prepped for any possible contingency, or at least able to think on my feet enough to bounce back quickly.
I have experienced the proverbial "worst possible scenario." I have been dumped. I have been robbed. I have been institutionalized, rejected, and failed at many endeavors over the years. I have lost a child on the brink of giving her life. And I am still here. None of these things has killed me, though the last one very nearly could have.
I will continue to prepare for the worst case scenario, but instead of praying or "hoping" for the best, I will work my ass off for it like I always have. I will go to all my appointments and take my vitamins, because my intention is to take every precaution and care for Archer just as I did with Coraline. Am I terrified that a repeat stillbirth may occur? Of course, every day. I am only reassured every time I feel him move, or I whip out the doppler and hear his rapid little heartbeat. Does that mean I will not celebrate this pregnancy and his birth with as much fervor as I did Coraline's? No - his life has begun already, and I will honor it and him, regardless of the outcome.
Realistically, I knew what the chances were for a repeat stillbirth when I became pregnant with Archer. I understood the risks, and made a calculated decision to proceed with having this baby. I examine things on a very detailed and technical scale, weighing all the options and odds before proceeding. It may seem cold and calculated, but it's simply how I internalize decisions, including important and often emotionally charged ones. My desire to have Archer, to bring him into the world for his father and brother and sister, outweighed the possible negative outcomes, and there was my decision.
I have had nightmares - I have had dreams where I'm whisked away to the ER following an appointment where they couldn't hear his heartbeat, and everyone is stunned because of the repeat anomaly. Then I wake up and feel him wiggling inside, and reassure myself with all the on-target health scores and ultrasounds and projections.
I can't live my life in fear, but that doesn't mean it isn't there and I won't make every attempt to protect myself from harm.
I am the SAME way! I am a pessimist by nature, and though I try to 'look on the bright side', it is hard after loss(es). We have 2 healthy boys, but then had 5 losses in a row. We are waiting for our rainbow baby due next month. Here's to both of us!
ReplyDelete