Matt & I just returned from an amazing weekend away together. A
couple from my mom's church who experienced a similar loss several years
ago gave us an unforgettable gift of time to heal together and be with
each other. We spent the weekend at the Ritz-Carlton in Amelia Island, in a room with a stunning balcony view of the beautiful Atlantic and a fantastic time bonding and healing as a couple.
Words cannot express how touched we were when this couple wrote to us and offered to do this for us. We had talked about taking a weekend trip together, just the two of us, out of town somewhere - but this was way more lavish than anything we could have dreamed. We spent the hours in the pool and hot tubs, by warm fireplaces (it was 32 degrees out! In FLORIDA!), sitting on our balcony (by far the LARGEST in the entire resort) sipping champagne and nibbling on chocolate covered strawberries. We were totally pampered and spoiled and for once, I allowed it. I let go and permitted my brain to shut off that constant worry and fear, and enjoyed myself thoroughly.
Our first night was amazing - we dined in the upscale restaurant Salt, on food items completely foreign to us. I learned that foie gras is goose liver, and surprisingly tasty. And shiraz goes well with lamb (omg, also so tasty). It was great to get dressed up and have an ultra "fancy" time. New dress, heels, makeup - even had the husband looking nice. :)
They also arranged a couples massage in the spa - if you've never had a full spa experience, I highly recommend it. It was incredibly relaxing (once I got over the whole "OMG strange people touching me" fear) and soothing. Neither one of us had ever even gone to a day spa, and this full service experience was out-of-this-world. We spent time together in the relaxation lounge, munching on chocolate covered pretzels and drinking apple-ginger tea, with Himalayan salt rock foot warmers and cucumbers for our eyes. Then we had our 90 minute healing bath and massage - was a little apprehensive when we stripped to take a jacuzzi bath in the buff together. But we were left alone, and it was relaxing with infrared lights and bubbles! We were also in the room together for our massage, which was nice (even though Matt was nearly asleep and I think I drooled a little...) The lavender aromatherapy lotion was the BEST, and we stopped at a health food store on the way home to pick some up. They gave us a Moroccan oil hair/scalp treatment and foot scrub as well. Like I said, I drooled a little. If I had a credit card with no limit, I'd be addicted.
I think we are starting to heal. Nowhere near "cured" or "whole", mind you, but taking steps and getting there. This trip was an unbelievably generous extension of love, that we hope to one day pay forward and help another couple heal. The support we have received throughout this horrendous experience has left us speechless and cushioned the falls we take time and again. Coraline's gift to us was to show us the beauty and love this world holds, how strangers will lift you up and ease your pain, that kindness exists and is shared without expected reciprocity, and how very fortunate we are to share the journey with such compassionate friends.
On the way out, in addition to a lego-like robot for Parker, we found a beautiful picture frame with a silver dragonfly charm on it - so I was able to get a souvenir for both of my children. That warms my heart beyond measure.
No comments:
Post a Comment